Tuesday, July 25, 2006

 

Experiential Learning



Today we had our first experiential learning activity. We met the students at Beomeosa, one of the famous Buddhist temples in Pusan, and first did a nature hike, then saw the temple. It was predicted to rain today; however, when we woke up, there were blue skies and sun, but it wasn't too hot.

The purpose of doing this was to have students practice their English in a relaxed setting.
Many of the students who are reticent to speak in class were quite active in talking with others, including the teachers, in English. This activity also opened up the possibility for students to talk about anything, rather than being constrained to the theme of the day. Also, it gave them the chance to get to know their classmates and students in the other classes better.

Comments:
Hello Everyone:*
I've just been visiting Cate's blogspot and was able to learn
some
things about the development of the course. Cate, thanks for assembling
the
photos and comments. These are giving me a concrete sense of how things
are
coming along. The teaching sounds demanding, but you seem to be doing
some
very good work. I like the "experiential learning" focus, and
"Shakespeare
in the Park" looked like a lot of fun. The students look very
enthusiastic
and engaged, and I'm sure you're all doing a very good job. By the way,
is
it my imagination, or are you all looking a bit thinner?
Well, anyway, I just wanted to share these quick impressions.
Keep
up the great work.

Dr. H

*Note: This is an e-mail message sent on 7/25/06.
 
Hi ! Cate*,

Thanks and well received your e-mail regarding "idioms".

Just got back in home from my class.

How's the field activity in today?

I saw the your blog on internet.... I think for that, it's great activity.

I didn't homework yet.........

Now I am begin for homework, but I feel so tired.

Because I was drive for 4hours in today

Anyway, see you tomorrow !!!!

Thank you Cate for your mail.....

Good night !!!

*Note: This is an e-mail sent by a student from the P class who could not attend the field trip on 7/25/06.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?