Monday, July 31, 2006

 

Hey, Sports Fans!

Today's lesson topic was sports. I gave the students some questions about the importance of sports and various issues related to athletes. While students were discussing these questions, I circulated around the classroom, listening to what they were saying and taking note of vocabulary difficulites the students were having. I then put these on the board for all students to see, then, when they finished their conversations, we went through the list and talked about each one. I found their conversations to be a good teaching source because it shows how they put together the language and what difficulties arise from this construction. For tomorrow's homework, as a variation to the numerous presentations that they've already gave (and are complaining about), I asked students to work with a partner and create a famous athlete interview for a sports news segment on a nightly news program to have them use what they discussed in class today.

As a follow-up to what I mentioned in Friday's post about podcasting, it turns out the students had a lot of difficulties finding recording equipment to create these, so it looks like we won't be using these in this course. However, it's interesting how some of the students are responding to my blog. At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to include them in my blog audience. I thought if I did that I might have to censor what I write. However, what's been interesting is the way that they position themselves as cultural experts in responding to the various places I've seen or activities I've done in Pusan. For example, one of the students from the N class has volunteered at an orphanage before, so she has firsthand experience that she shared about my experience at the orphanage yesterday. Something else that's interesting that's come out of the students' interaction with my blog is one of the students from the P class has started his own blog. He said that he's familiar with the concpet of blogging in Korean; however, he's very interested in learning English through this medium, so he's started his own in English.

Comments:
The last three podcasts I heard came out clearly
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?