Tuesday, August 01, 2006

 

Podcasting Revisited





Today in class students were to have prepared an interview with a "famous" professional/college athlete. At the beginning of class I gave students 10 minutes to go over their interviews one more time with their partners and informed them that these would be recorded. I brought in my mp3 player for students to use as a kind of microphone during their interviews and to record their interviews to listen to tonight and debrief tomorrow in class with exercises targeting pronunciation and conversation troubles. (More about this later.) These have been uploaded to our class podcast page. While students were presenting, I asked the others to listen carefully and asked them detailed listening comprehension questions following each interview. As a follow up to today's lesson, I asked students to listen to an interview with Jim Tressel (head coach of the OSU football team), take notes and bring these to class with them tomorrow to discuss. Tomorrow we'll be finishing up the sports theme and starting the theme of famous people. In preparation for this, I asked students to think of a famous person, do some research on this person and bring this to class with them tomorrow.

Comments:
Hi Cate,*
Yes, I'm really excited, especially after learning so much more
about the course and the students through all the outlets you and Charm
and
Lisya have created. I have to admit that the word "podcasts" was a bit
intimidating, but I got over my fear and just listened to a few of the
student presentations. The famous athletes and introduction to Korea
ideas
are very good, and it's been fun to hear the students' responses to
them. I
must admit that I didn't anticipate being able to learn as much about
what
you're doing as I have. This has been, for me, a very interesting
demonstration of the value of technology. With respect to follow-up
work
related to the podcasts, I think that, as a student in a course like
that,
I would probably appreciate some kind of assessment--not a grade, but
some
feedback. As a teacher I'd probably create some kind of assessment
sheet
that I could fill out for each student (or pair),and the students could
then look over the written feedback. Based on the feedback, I suppose
they
could have a second chance to do the presentations and then perhaps
self-evaluate their performance. It might also be interesting for you
and
the other teachers to do a few of these and then review them with the
students in terms of certain words and phrases you used, intonation and
stress features, how you organized your comments, etc. The students
would
probably appreciate how you handled the English. I'm also still
intrigued
by the exit interview idea. Perhaps those could be recorded and
uploaded
(is that the term?) so the students could have future access to them.
Well,
anyway, just a few thoughts. It's 96 degrees here today and awfully hot
in
my non-airconditioned office, so I'm not thinking real clearly.
I've enjoyed offering feedback, and it's certainly fine to
post it.
Dr. Kim mentioned to me that you and Stuart have graciously
offered to greet me at the airport on Sunday evening. I really
appreciate
that, but it's not necessary. I know it's a long way to the airport,
and
she mentioned that you'd have to go by bus. I think it'd be better for
you
to stay there and rest up for class or prepare for your teaching. Also,
my
wife is accompanying me, as her family lives in Busan, and she'll able
to
get us to PNU via taxi with no problems. Thanks again, though, for
offering.
I just remembered that our HR person, Jackie, sent me an email
asking about your TA appointment. Is it a 25% appointment?
I don't recall now if you brought along any of your
dissertation
data, but if you didn't, you've been away from your dissertation for a
little while. How has that been?
Keep up the great work.

Dr. H

At 06:23 AM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Dr. H,
>
>I guess you may be getting excited about your upcoming trip to
>Pusan. We're looking forward to your arrival.
>
>I wanted to let you know that I've set up a podcast site -
>http://osu-pnu2006.podomatic.com - where I upload students'
>presentations. I've thought a little bit about how to use this,
mostly as
>a way to review their presentations and to debrief the following day
in
>class with exercises targeting pronunciation and conversation
troubles. I
>was wondering if you had any other thoughts on this.
>
>Thanks for all the great feedback you've been giving each week. I
hope
>you don't mind that I copied and posted this into my blog. I deleted
your
>name in case you didn't want to be identified.
>
>Looking forward to seeing you soon!
>
>Cate

*a response to an e-mail sent requesting advice regarding the use of podcasting in the EFL classroom
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?